Everything in business today hinges on how quickly you embrace technology, how you manage your time, and how you communicate with your target audience. And the key to communicating with your audience is meeting them where they are. And they are on social networks – Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.
Like it or not, these applications have a foothold in our everyday business activities and it’s more important than ever to engage your target market through these mediums. There are many reasons for business owners and professionals not using social networking as a business strategy.
The main reason is they think it’s a waste of time. This comes from a lack of understanding in how to use these tools in a way that is beneficial to your business. The reality is you can maintain a strong presence on social networks by investing 15 minutes a day. That is around 5 hours a month you will invest to keep top of mind presence with your target market.
The other reason they give for not being involved in social media is they are “technologically challenged”. They are a little intimidated by technology. If you can use Microsoft Word, you can launch a successful social media campaign.
Here are five easy steps to get you started on the right track using social media:
1. Open a Twitter account, Facebook account, and LinkedIn account.
2. Go to your Facebook account and friend all your current and past clients. Go to Twitter, find all your current and past clients, and start following them. Go to LinkedIn and get connected with all your current and past clients. Set a goal to find one new person every day you can follow, friend, or connect with.
3. Open a ping.fm account. Click on the Dashboard at the top of the ping.fm page after you logon. In the left column, click on “Add More Networks”. On the next page, click on “Add Network” next Twitter and follow the prompts. Do the same for your Facebook account and your LinkedIn account.
4. After you have added your Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn accounts to ping.fm, click on Dashboard again. Now create a 140 character (or less) post in ping.fm. This will automatically post to your Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn account.
5. Every morning when you get on your computer, login to your ping.fm account and post something. When you post something, ask yourself if this is adding value to the people in your social network. For example, you may post a link to an interesting article, post something personal about a great trip you just took with your family, or post a quick note about a book you just read that changed the way you think about your business or profession.
That’s it. Five easy steps to becoming a social media maven. Now you have no excuse for not being involved in social networking and using it as a tool to build and grow your business.
How are you using social media?